Notes from a movie set...

On set The Canyon, Williams AZ

I am posting from a movie set in Williams, AZ. A spur of the moment decision this week and here we are, on the set of Steve's first film The Canyon (some of you may remember he sold the screenplay last fall, his first script sale). After a ten second discussion starting with What if... and ending in Why not? we hopped in our Honda Fit and made a bee-line for Arizona, cooler packed with the standard celiac travel kit of rice cakes and peanut butter, a few bananas and apples. And a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. I also schlepped my rice cooker in true gypsy fashion (brown rice and red beans are cooking in the hotel room as we speak).

Today was the first day of the shoot. I was persuaded nudged by the producer Mark Williams to video some behind the scenes footage of the crew [truth is, I am introverted and clumsy I am sorry to tell you and was reluctant to get in too close, but Mark snuck up behind me and steered me over cables and into the action]. I was too nervous to set a white balance. Goddess only knows if any of the footage is viewable. But did I care?

In all honesty I was too busy drinking in the goose-bump inducing electric vibe of a film set, feeling chills flicker up my spine as we watched Steve's script come alive. The female lead is played by actress Yvonne Strahovski (cast before she snagged the role of Sarah Walker on the television series Chuck) who is not only beautiful, she is a smart, strong and capable actress. And Will Patton? Soulful, sly and poetic. It was pure shivering pleasure to watch him do his thespian thing as the grizzled guide Henry. I even got the chance to suggest a word of dialogue for him on set, which, I am humbled to tell you, he used. I was thrilled beyond belief.

So that's where I'm at. Crazy happy. Dead on my feet. I leave you with a snapshot of the director, Richard Harrah, Steve, and producer Mark Williams. Yeah, I know. How lucky can a goddess get?



The Boys. Richard Harrah, Steve Allrich, Mark Williams 
on the set of The Canyon
Watch the trailer:




No comments:

Post a Comment