Blue Corn Muffins with Green Chiles


Harvest time in New Mexico is just an excuse to declare a fiesta and eat roasted green chiles and corn until the cows come home. Or you turn blue. I'm not kidding. I can't keep up. I love me my Green Chile as much as the next Gringa, but. Breakfast, lunch and dinner? Hola. Maybe I lack the gene. I'm starting to crave lettuce. Celery sticks. I'm dreaming of multi-colored cherry tomatoes. Something crisp and raw and fresh.

You know, bunny food.

And speaking of blue, higher-in-protein blue corn just happens to be a New Mexican specialty. (There's even a Blue Corn Cafe in Santa Fe, and rumor has it- if you call ahead they'll accomodate a gluten-free request). When you bake with blue cornmeal it it isn't exactly blue, I find. More like dark green. But maybe it's just me. We all see colors differently you know.

No two people see the exact same shade of blue. Kinda like politics. And life.


Continue reading

No comments:

Post a Comment