Cheater's Creme Anglaise . . . Works for Me Wednesday

Have you ever come across a recipe that called for a dessert to be topped with, not whipped cream, but creme anglaise?

Creme Anglaise is described as a thick, pourable custard and is made with eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla bean.

Well, I came across a recipe not long ago that called for cream anglaise to be served with the cake, but I was feeling lazy.  Then, I heard a voice in my head telling me to use melted ice cream.  I'm pretty sure the voice was Alton Brown's from a very, very old episode of Good Eats.  It sounded like him anyway. ;)

So, that's exactly what I did.  And it was heavenly.

I highly recommend this Haagen-Dazs Five Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.  I'm not a vanilla ice cream girl, but I could eat this entire container in one sitting (melted OR frozen). 

Let it melt in the fridge....it will still be nice and thick and perfect to spoon over that dessert.

The cake it was meant to top wasn't my favorite.  
But the Cheater's Cream Anglaise?  It works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment