Cherry Pie for a Birthday

Mr. E celebrated a birthday a few weeks ago.  And, Mr. E is not a big fan of cake.

It actually took him a few days to decide what he wanted for his birthday "cake" this year.  His answer..."any fruit pie."

Well, I knew exactly what I was going to do.  I emailed my Aunt Janice who makes the best cherry pies and crossed my fingers that the recipe didn't call for tart cherries.

See, I like to feel sorry for myself here in Texas that we don't have access to tart cherries.  They must be really perishable because it seems like we can get any fruit in the world, from any country in the world EXCEPT tart or sour cherries.

And here's where my pity party ends because Aunt Janice's recipe calls for canned tart cherries!!!  And are those not the cutest cans you've ever seen?  I love having them in my pantry. ♥

One more note, this recipe is one that my aunt got from her grandmother, Lolita.  And making a recipe from someone named Lolita really makes me happy.

Cherry Pie
{from Janice & Lolita}

double pie crust (I use this one and SWEAR by it)
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
4 TBSP cornstarch
3/4 cup juice from cherries
3 cups canned pitted tart red cherries (WATER packed, from 2 cans)
1 TBSP butter


Combine 3/4 cup sugar with cornstarch.


Stir in the cherry juice.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles. Cook 1 more minute.

Add remaining sugar, cherries & butter.  Let stand while preparing pastry.  Now is a good time to preheat the oven to 400.  {Also, have about 17 spoons at the ready...if you are like me, you'll be "testing" the filling quite frequently as it cools.}


(My tip: lightly brush the bottom crust with beaten egg white to prevent a soggy crust.)

Fill the bottom pie crust with the filling.


Cut the top crust with a pastry cutter.

To make a lattice top...

Criss-cross two of the strips across the middle of the pie.

Lay the remaining strips across the pie, lifting up strips as needed.






Now, it's time to trim.

Use a paring knife to trim the edges.


Brush the top with egg whites if desired.

Bake at 400 degrees for 55 minutes on the bottom oven rack. (Place a cookie sheet on the oven floor to catch spills.)

Let cool on a wire rack.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.  (Yes, it's required.)  We like Haagen-Dazs 5-Vanilla Bean.


{Just look at those flaky layers!!!  This pie crust recipe is the secret!}


I think Mr. E chose well!  Fruit pies for birthdays may become a trend around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment